Guidance on the use of Sexed Semen
Selecting the correct animal
From at least a month before the service period the aim is to get heifers & cows settled and in a stress free condition.
Cows milking heavily and losing condition are less likely to get in calf. Settle the animals onto a consistent diet, nutritionally balanced for energy, protein and minerals preferably on a rising plane of nutrition.
Do not make diet changes for one month before or after the service period.
Handling Sexed Semen
- Attention to detail is essential when handling sexed semen.
- Use tweezers, never fingers to handle straws.
- Never take out an individual straw to look at and then put back. It will almost certainly damage the sperm.
- Check the temperature of the water in your thawing device with a thermometer.
- Flick the straw to remove any trapped nitrogen.
- Thaw the straw straight away at 37°C for 40 seconds.
- Thoroughly dry the straw, water kills sperm.
- Use clean straw cutters, or sharp scissors to cut off the sealed end.
- Once thawed don’t let the straw cool down again.
- Pre-warm the AI equipment and keep it insulated until the insemination (especially in cold weather).
- Animals should be inseminated within 5 minutes of removing from the tank.
- Once thawed, straws cannot be re-frozen.
- Do not split straws.
Shorthorn Sires UK
If you would like to order your Shorthorn genetics via email and the office will contact you about delivery and payment. Non UK residents please contact the office.